Tuesday 25 September 2012

Idle Hands

Today was the beginning of two weeks of holidays for school children across Victoria and with next to no activities available locally, the majority of kids here are sorely in need to something to do. I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw an advertisement in the Community Newsletter for a workshop to teach young women to re-fashion clothes. I too have a whole lot of free time on my hands, I contacted the organiser and offered to volunteer.
 
The workshop is being led by a crafter from Geelong - I couldn't really find out much about her so I'm not sure what to expect - and is aimed at the 10 years plus age group. The local Community Bank has generously donated some money toward the class, but from my understanding, it is largely self-funded.
 
June and I re-fashioned some Op Shop clothing for a small display in the local Library, in the hope of generating a bit of interest, and I'm pleased to say, we've managed to get nearly 20 participants! We even have one boy! With so many people interested, we have the potential to offer more workshops and possibly even gain some government funding. But that's a long way down the track, we've got to get through tomorrow first.
 
I didn't manage to get any pics of the Library display, but I made sure to photograph my two contributions - a neck warmer and matching beret and an embroidered cardigan, both made from Op Shop jumpers. They are simple for beginners and (hopefully) funky enough to appeal to young teens. What do you think?
 
 
 
 
 
As you can see, I just unpicked the collar from the existing jumper for the neck-warmer - it's the reason I chose it in the first place - and the beret is cut from the front and back. I used an early 1960s hats pattern which consists of two pieces - one circle and one half circle - and a simple casing threaded with elastic gathers it in to fit your head. Too easy!
 
Next, take one large, powder blue Target jumper...
 

 
Follow Grosgrain's wonderfully easy tutorial from her 'Embellish Knit Month' back in October 2006 - I might be a bit late to the party, but it has really given me some great ideas for more projects.
 
Then, add a wee touch of embroidery to the front to create interest...
 
 
 
 
 
And you've now got yourself a cute, vintage style cardigan!
I think I might have to keep this one.
 
 
I'm needed for the workshop from midday 'til five tomorrow (now today) so I best get to bed. Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes.
 
-Tamara
 

1 comment:

  1. I adore the embroidered bird, it adds such a charmingly sweet touch to a classic cardi. I really must start buying duplicates of colours of cardigans I have so that I can try giving this wonderful idea (embroidering on them) a spin sometime.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...