Wednesday 28 March 2012

I'll Swap Ya!

This weekend was the 20th annual Broadford Swap Meet and while it is usually the blokes domain, this year the organisers allowed antiques and collectibles stalls too.

The event is major fundraiser for the town's football and netball club's and this year was hailed as the largest yet with over 300 stallholders on the ground. As I mentioned, the stalls are usually full of car parts, tools and general men's shed crap so I've never been, but with the promise of nic-knacks, I was raring to go by 9am Sunday morning.



I was surprised to find a good selection of antique stalls and had a lovely morning fossicking about in the hope of finding hidden treasures. I picked up a few bits and pieces but first I'd like to share some of the more interesting stuff that was for sale.

A replica hunting trophy head for those who aren't taxidermy fans.
The iconic Australian Redheads safety matches from the mid 1940s.

I get the impression Totopoly (c.1938) wasn't as successful as Monopoly.
What at first appeared to be an art deco desk top calendar...
...Turned out to be a musical cigarette dispenser!
 Lastly, here's my meagre haul


Some swap cards, a small, brass 'Bonnie Scotland' dish, a Scottie dog pin, a Dept of Defence brooch issued to Women of Australia for duty done, and an embroidered 'Souvenir from France' postcard.


I've since done some research on the postcard and was pleased to discover it dates back to WWI. French women embroidered patriotic or romantic designs on silk and sold to soldiers as a means of supporting themselves. This particular one is in excellent condition and imagine my joy at discovering it also had a hand written message on the back.


Not at all what I'd would have unexpected find at a swap meet!

- Tamara



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...