Wednesday 7 March 2012

I Want Candy!

With so much to tell yesterday, I didn't get a chance to mention my new dress!

The plan was to draw people to my stall by wearing something eye-catching so I set about making something from the 'Atomic' print quilting material I'd picked up a few weeks ago. It certainly does grab your attention. Now, what to sew?

1940s Mail Order pattern for House/Day dress
For some reason, I've always referred to this pattern as the 'baseball dress' - I imagine the fabric is red & white candy stripes. It was very simple to put together, I only really glanced at the instructions and it was finished in a weekend. It did take me a bit to figure out the bodice piece though - it's only one piece and a very odd shape.


I've also managed to conquer my button hole phobia - I now just sew a couple of test ones on a scrap of fabric until I get the feel of it, then make them in my garment. I also use an air-erasable pen and mark the size of the hole of the back of the fabric, just in case it stains.

 I've been looking for a dress I can wear all day, everyday and I think I've found it!




The print is a bit crazy but I think the white collar tabs and inset belt break it up, giving it a bit more balance. I'm also really lovin' the buttons! When I first put them with the fabric, they reminded me of boiled lollies - exactly what I was looking for.

The only additions I need to make are adding a couple of press-studs; one to keep the front cross-over closed and one to stop the skirt flying open. On the positive side: at least you can see my beautifully bias bound hem.


 
What do you think? Gumballs? Jawbreakers? Or perhaps billiard balls?
No matter what they are, I love 'em!

-Tamara

4 comments:

  1. I love that pattern! Your dress turned out darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job- It looks wonderful :)
    It certainly is eyecatching!
    I shall have to watch out for that pattern, because I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh this is most adorable! Those mail order patterns are so easy to make up too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...