Thursday 27 October 2011

Inappropriate use of material

Hello dear Readers.

Have you ever had a sewing project which you knew was a bad idea, but foolishly decided to plough on ahead anyway? This is one of those stories...

An old friend was getting married in January this year and as usual I thought I'd make a new dress for the occasion. I wasn't feeling particularly inspired but I kept seeing this pattern on Ebay...

Advance 6398
I already had a copy in my collection, and some remarkably similar fabric in my stash, so I thought why not? Had I actually considered that question, I may not have made such a disaster. For you see, the material I had in my stash was a light-weight, brushed cotton and was not at all suitable for this dress.

Just look how pretty that blue is!!
Needless to say, I learnt my lesson the hard way. The fabric was too flimsy and the bodice stitching started coming apart at the neckline while I was wearing it. Not to mention the waistline, it was nowhere near straight because of the lack of weight in the fabric and I ended up having to hide it with a thick, waist-cinching belt.

The shoulders kept slipping down all night; I was paranoid the straps of my slip were hanging out (it makes me feel a bit trashy); spending an evening in this dress was not a pleasant experience. In fact, I hated it so much that I don't really have any good pics of me in it, these are the best I could find...

The happy couple - Cam & Shaney - and yours truly
The other happy couple...
As much as I disliked this dress, it is interesting to note that I received loads of compliments on how nice I looked. Go figure!

- Tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...